Monday, November 16, 2009

What's the best type of yoga to help me with flexibility?

I can barely touch past my knees and I have always had a lot of problems with flexibility. I am not overweight, I am very physically active and walk over 10 miles a day, but have no flexibility. What is the best type of yoga to help and if I do it frequently how long will it take until I can see real improvement?|||Basic hatha yoga is the type you would like to try as a beginner. Like you, I was quite inflexible, especially with my hamstrings. These are the muscles located at the back of your thighs which are responsible for the forward bending action. Walking, running, wearing high heels, etc. can cause your hamstrings to tighten.





Based on personal experience, it usually takes a couple of months to see significant improvement. You can start practicing 4 times a week increasing to doing it everyday when you feel comfortable enough with the yoga poses. Although you will feel a noticeable change in your body, mind and emotions even just after a few weeks of consistent practice.





Yoga will complement and even enhance your walking exercise. It is always best especially for beginners to practice yoga under the supervision of a certified instructor. If you cannot find a hatha yoga class, I highly recommend that you try Iyengar yoga.





Good luck!|||any type, since you do not have flexibility, will help. Actually, you can just do any basic stretches.


Hold the stretch for about 20 seconds and do not bounce the muscle. After about a week, you should start to see some type of improvement, but stretching muscles does take time.|||Hi there. I%26#039;m new to Yoga too, so I still don%26#039;t know all the types, etc., but if you want to learn, there is a daily download on iTunes that will help you get started... go to podcasts, health, then suscribe to it. They are 1 hr sessions, and easy to follow, even for beginners. They also tell you about the types of Yoga and why they are beneficial to the body. It certainly makes me feel better after I%26#039;m finished because I used to be very flexible, but have a hard time putting my hands to the floor anymore.. It%26#039;s like starting from %26quot;0%26quot; Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment