Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is it proper to do the yoga squat while waiting in public?

When waiting for someone/something, is it appropriate to do so while in the yoga squat? Is that inherently offensive to someone less flexible? I always attempt to do it discreetly. I would never do a pose/asana right next to someone. Unfortunately, after sitting in the car, I need the relief offered by the yoga squat (and forward bend). I have had surgery once on a herniated disc, and was recently told I must quit running because of my recurring back/neck pain. I find I have to do poses throughout the day to relief the constant pain.


Thank you.|||Many people, like those in Asia, squat in public places-- while waiting for a bus, eating their food, etc. and is considered normal.





I myself do asanas such as twists, forward bends and squats as discreetly as I can in public places, and while I sometimes get strange looks from others, no one has really found it extremely offensive (or at least I haven%26#039;t been told). It would be preferable to either find an isolated area or perhaps a more acceptable location (such as a park or a beach).





Try not to be too conscious while doing your poses, and do not let people who stare affect you. When I travel, I always do a headstand before my flight at the airport (in a discreet corner) and people who see me are actually happily amused by this. (I%26#039;ve even had strangers come up to me and ask if they could join me!)





If people ask, tell them you%26#039;re doing yoga poses due to your back condition. Most people are either curious or will just ignore you anyway. So go ahead, do your asanas!





Namaste.|||Nothing wrong with it. If people stare just tell them you are in pain and this is the only thing that relieves the pain. I%26#039;m sure they%26#039;d understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment