Saturday, May 15, 2010

How many calories do you burn doing one hour of yoga?

I am talking about light to moderate yoga like at the gym. I know cardio is the ultimate fat buster, its is just a curiosity of mine... I want to know what my hour in a hot smelly room gets me other than an invincible/calm feeling afterwards. Thaaaanks|||You can find calorie calculators online that, when you put in your weight and the amount of time, show you (roughly) how many calories you%26#039;re burning during a variety of activities for that particular amount of time. The best one I%26#039;ve found is at http://www.caloriesperhour.com, but that%26#039;s just because it has the most variety of daily activities. There%26#039;s another one I%26#039;ve found that wasn%26#039;t quite as comprehensive, but I can%26#039;t remember exactly where it was since I don%26#039;t have it bookmarked.





Also, high-impact cardio isn%26#039;t always the best fat-buster. You actually want to do low-impact stuff so that your body doesn%26#039;t go into preservation mode and try to preserve calories. Try doing a workout that will aim for about 55% to 65% of your target heart rate and do it for about 30-45 minutes, and that will burn the maximum amount of calories. Your body is designed to preserve itself, and uses several safeguards to preserve energy when it thinks it%26#039;s going to have to use up a lot for a long time. This essentially %26quot;tricks%26quot; your body into burning the most calories, since it thinks it will have plenty to spare. Best of luck!





Edit: If you really want to know exactly how many calories you spend on any given activity, you can invest in something like the BodyBugg. But those are super-expensive and require paying for the product, the program, and the services of a trainer to go over it all with you for about three months. I would just stick to the rough estimates on the calorie calculators.

No comments:

Post a Comment