Saturday, May 15, 2010

How long will it take to become a yoga/pilates teacher?

I started pilates and yoga in January (having done practically no exercise previously) and I absolutely love them. I would like to become a teacher in either but wondered how long it would take to reach the level of fitness needed to train as a teacher. Also how many times should I practise every week? Thanks.|||Since you%26#039;ve only started doing pilates and yoga recently, I suggest that you do this for at least one year before you start teaching. Whether or not you are flexible and fit, doing it for this amount of time allows you to understand the postures more by observing your body, and your improvement throughout the year.





Doing yoga/pilates is completely different from teaching, because you will encounter all sorts of people in your class-- from flexible, stiff, young, old, strong, weak, etc. Before I started teaching in a studio, I practiced teaching my family and friends for a couple of months to make myself comfortable instructing them, as well as dealing with any shortcomings a student may have, such an injuries, and conditions like arthritis.





I do my practice almost everyday, even before I became a teacher. A beginner can start with 2 times a week, but if you%26#039;re aspiring to become a teacher I would suggest that you do it at least 4 times a week.





When you feel ready to become a teacher, there are yoga and pilates teacher training courses (especially if you live in the US) available. You can get your certification for as short as a weekend, but most serious teacher trainings are at least one month long.





Becoming a teacher requires hard work and dedication. You will know when you feel truly ready to teach. In my case, I have found it to be a truly rewarding experience because I feel good, calm and happy when I%26#039;m doing yoga, and I%26#039;m sharing this with others.|||This has been really helpful information to me. Thanks a lot. Good luck for the future. Report Abuse
|||Everyone I know that%26#039;s crossed over has taken about 6-8 months to do so..

No comments:

Post a Comment