Saturday, May 15, 2010

How can I improve my personal discipline regarding my personal yoga practice?

I%26#039;m trying to run 3 miles per day six days per week. I also would like to incorporate my yoga practice some how, but there%26#039;s not enough hours in the day...|||I totally understand. About a year ago I had finally managed to build a habit of practicing everyday-- then I moved and my whole schedule got thrown out of wack and I%26#039;ve never been able to get back to a daily practice. Here are the things that helped me build a daily practice before....





1) It takes a certain amount of time to build a new habit. In the beginning it is pure discipline that makes you do the desired behavior. Be patient with yourself as you try to build the habit, but accept no excuses. I think my yoga teacher told me that you have to do the same thing something like 20 times to begin to build a new habit.





2) Don%26#039;t worry too much about how much yoga you%26#039;re doing as you try to build the habit of a daily practice. 15 minutes everyday is better than none. On busy days when I really don%26#039;t have much time I just do down dog, standing forward bend, triangle, seated twist, and savasana-- about 10 breaths in everything except savasana. Doing any yoga everyday will help build the habit.





3) Think about all the other things that you have 15 or 30 minutes for... I know for me it%26#039;s easy to find time for a TV show that I like or talking to a friend-- so why shouldn%26#039;t I be able to squeeze in the same amount of time for yoga?





4) You don%26#039;t have to do your yoga all in one sitting. On days that are super busy you can spread your yoga out through the day. Practice a pose or two as time permits throughout the day and finish your day with a savasana when you get home.





Hope this helps. Namaste!|||One of the great things about yoga is the benefits you can take away, even with a short session. Try making it a part of every day, even if it%26#039;s only for 10 minutes. It could be your stretching practice before and after you run.





Once it is part of your daily (or a certain number of days per week) routine, you can try lengthening the time of your yoga practice by thinking of all the positive benefits you%26#039;re receiving.





Good luck, enjoy, and Namaste! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment