Friday, November 18, 2011

How many yoga sessions will I need before I can try advanced poses?

I%26#039;d say right now I%26#039;m somewhere between beginner and intermediate... My long-term goal is to do the Firefly and Scorpion poses. Not just because they look fun, but because the Scorpion is supposed to give you the deepest stretch through the neck and spine. How long will I need to practice yoga before moving toward these advanced poses?|||I%26#039;m not an expert, but I believe it really matters how often you practice, how long your practice is, now intensive it is, and what poses you are practicing. If you really want to know, ask an instructor for advice on how to work toward those poses, and then you can also ask them how long they think it might take you to achieve the full pose.


I believe every pose is different for everyone. What might take me 6 months to learn to do, it may take someone else two years, as all bodies are aligned differently, have different needs, and abilities vary so widely. Someone may have an alignment issue they didn%26#039;t realize they had, and they have to work on that for a year or more to get proper alignment before they can move into a certain pose.


I think what you ought to do is work gently toward the pose, and don%26#039;t focus on the goal. Focus on where you are now, not where you will be in the future. Yoga is about focusing on the Now moment, so try practicing that every day.


Don%26#039;t worry about when, instead, think more toward learning to be in the moment, and learning to listen to what your body needs to be stronger, more flexible, and healthy.


Namaste`


:)|||For how long you will have to ask yourself that question some people are naturally gifted at yoga and are able to more advance poses. No one else can tell you that is so many years or days you will be doing the postures that you have mentioned; you have to listen to your body and see where you are at, and if you are able to do these postures. Are you practicing head stands, hand stands, plow or any poses that are a lot of upper body strengthening? I would suggest to try them gradually if you are able and to strengthen your upper body.





That would be something I would suggest as a yoga teacher but I would much more rather give you a private yoga class. Try to get a private yoga class in your area that is the safest way to do those poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment